Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy Deepavali!


Here's wishing all my Hindu friends and residents a very Happy Deepavali! For those who are travelling, have a safe journey and a wonderful time with your family and loved ones.

Cheque presentation for Deepavali


Selangor Times Writer: William Tan 
SUBANG JAYA: The Sri Varatharajah Perumal Temple here received RM12,000 in financial assistance from the state in conjunction with Deepavali last Saturday.

“It is the second year that the state has given us money and we are very appreciative of the gesture,” said temple president R Subramani.

The temple received RM 20,000 last year. This year’s aid will be used to pay for renovations.

Subramani said the temple wanted to build a Rajagopuram, an elaborate entrance usually found with larger Hindu temples, which will cost an estimated RM1.2 million.

“It is our main goal, but we may have to deal with some of our local issues first, such as a poor pedestrian crossings and unpaved roads,” said Subramani.

He received the cheque from Hannah Yeoh during a simple ceremony.

The Subang Jaya state lawmaker said the donation was inclusive of RM2,000 from her allocation, while the rest was from the state.

Photo courtesy of SJ Echo

Indiscriminate parking along Jalan SS16/1


Selangor Times Writer: Brenda Ch'ng

At the press conference together with residents of Saujana Residency at Jalan ss16/1

SUBANG JAYA: Daily traffic gridlock at apartments next to Empire Shopping Gallery has become worse since the explosion, and residents are urging the municipality to act.

“It takes me close to an hour to get from Carrefour to my home at Saujana Residency, a short stretch measuring about 400 meters,” said Saujana Residency joint management body( JMB) chairperson Marcus Tan.

Tan, who has been living there for more then a year, said the traffic situation is getting from bad to worse.

The situation was exacerbated after the main junction leading to the mall was closed due to the gas-leak explosion on Wednesday (Sept 28).

As a result, there is now more indiscriminate parking on Jalan SS16/1. “Yesterday alone, I did a rough count, and there were about 200 to 300 illegally parked vehicles here,” said Tan.

He said many letters and complaints have been sent and made to the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ), but to no avail.

“There are actually numerous empty carpark lots at Subang Parade, which is just across the road, but people just don’t want to pay the fee,” Tan said.

To make matters worse, three to four buses are parked along the one-lane road right behind Carrefour, making it hard for vehicles to manoeuvre past without obstructing traffic coming from the opposite direction.

Motorists are also seen making illegal Uturns near the entrance to the Subang Commuter station, and also at the traffic light between Subang Parade and Carrefour on Jalan SS16/2.

Delivery vehicles, waiting taxis and shoppers also tend to park their vehicles at Carrefour’s side entrance (SS16/2), turning the two-lane road into a singlelane.

To solve the problem, Tan has proposed for MPSJ to study the traffic situation and turn Jalan SS16/1 into a one-way road.

He said MPSJ’s enforcement officers should also be proactive and tow illegally parked vehicles.

“I agree with Tan that something serious has got to be done by the council immediately to rectify the traffic situation here,” said Subang Jaya assemblyperson Hannah Yeoh.

Yeoh urged council officers to have a sense of urgency when reviewing the proposal and in making SS16/1 a one-way road.

“Making the road a one-way street is not difficult, and it doesn’t incur much cost on the council either. So I see no reason why traffic changes cannot be done immediately,” she said.

She also wants MPSJ to patrol the area more often, especially during peak hours, and tow away illegally parked vehicles.

“I’ve been told by MPSJ that they have issued 976 summonses last month for this road alone, but with the many cars still illegally parking, I don’t think summonses alone are effective anymore,” she said.

Subsequently, MPSJ has agreed to patrol the area more often and tow vehicles away after an hour’s notice.

“First we will give warning via the loudspeaker asking them to move their vehicles. If they don’t, we will issue summonses after half an hour.

“If they still don’t move after one hour, tow trucks will be contacted and vehicles towed away immediately,” said the council’s enforcement assistant director, Ainol Salnee Salim.

Since last week, MPSJ has towed away about 10 cars daily from the area.

All cars towed will be brought to a site in USJ 3A, where vehicle owners will have to pay a minimum fee of RM200 before their vehicles are released.

“If records show they have outstanding summonses from the past, they will also have to clear their debt before their vehicles are returned,” Ainol said.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Press Statement By Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng

Press Statement By Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng In Kuala Lumpur On 18.10.2011.


UMNO Should Act Against Those Trying To Wreck The Life Of My Young Son With Cruel And Barbaric Lies Just To Finish Me Off Politically To Prove That UMNO Is Not A 3D Party That Employs Desperate Dangerous And Dirty Tactics.
----------------------------


Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had declared during the Gerakan National Delegates Conference two days ago that BN had not given up on Penang and will go all out to recapture the state from Pakatan Rakyat. Following those Najib’s declaration of intent, we see pro-UMNO blogs and some UMNO leaders carrying out a serial campaign in the internet to systematically not only character assasinate me but also cruelly dragging in my young 16 year old son with their lies.

My wife and I are furious that pro-UMNO blogs and some UMNO leaders have made or perpetuated false allegations against my young son of criminal wrongdoing. My family and I deplore these lies and fabrications against my young son as morally despicable and barbaric. UMNO should act against those trying to wreck the life of my young son with cruel and barbaric lies just to finish me off politically to prove that UMNO is not a 3D party that employs desperate, dangerous and dirty tactics just to cling on and retain power at any cost.

My son had transferred to St Xavier Institution in Penang from Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Cina Heng Yee because I had promised him that he could transfer to the school of his choice if he scored at least 6As in his PMR. When he achieved that, he was transferred at the beginning of the school term this year in January 2011. My son wanted to go to St Xavier because he did not want to have his hair crew-cut as is required for Heng Yee students but wanted to keep his hair longer.

In this modern world, it is difficult for a young kid growing up, especially so when his father is a Chief Minister targeted daily by the pro-BN media. For a young kid growing up, to be maligned in such a beastly and cruel fashion publicly is unacceptable and inhumane.

My son is very shaken up by these lies. He has also not gone back to school for two days. I feel sad and that I am not able to protect my young son from these pro-UMNO ferocious beasts.

I urge these ferocious pro-UMNO beasts not to prey on the innocence of my young children. If you want to finish me off, do your worst to me but leave my innocent children alone. UMNO politicians have children too and DAP have never gone for their children and do not intend to so.

Amongst some UMNO leaders who highligted this shameful episode in the blogs is Bukit Gelugor(Penang) UMNO Division vice-chairman Dr Novandri Hasan Basri. He was then followed by many UMNO leaders rehashing the lies. Sadly even UMNO Youth chief Khairy Jamaludin joined in these shameful lies by poking fun at my son with this tweet:-

@Khairykj Khairy Jamaluddin

@PapaGomo Mungkin dia roboh Kampung Buah Pala sebab nak ganti dengan Kampung Buah Dada.

http://twitter.com/#!/Khairykj/status/125841671102529536

I hope those poking fun and spreading lies at my young son can look at themselves in the mirror as a father and ask whether they want their own child to suffer the trauma of such lies. My family and I reserve the right to take any further action to protect my family. In the meantime, my wife and I will try to heal my young son and pray that he will recover from having his innocence so cruelly destroyed by these pro-UMNO beasts.

- LIM GUAN ENG

Monday, October 17, 2011

Deepavali joy for 33 families


By Brenda Ch'ng

SUBANG JAYA: Thirty-three families, including single mums, received Deepavali goodie bags worth RM100 each to help them celebrate the upcoming festival of lights.


The women each received a saree along with essential household items including cooking oil, sugar, rice flour and soap powder.


The annual event to help the needy was organised by Hindu Sangam Bandar Sunway, and was held last Saturday.


Subang Jaya assemblyperson Hannah Yeoh was present to distribute the goodie bags to the women.


“I feel so blessed to receive these for the festive season as now I can use my money to buy other things like meat and fish,” said PJS7 resident Ammasi Maruphamutu.


The 65-year-old said it usually costs her about RM500 to cook for her whole family of eight children and numerous grandchildren.


Living with her recently widowed daughter and grandchild, Ammasi said she relies on assistance from Hindu associations and Yeoh no less than three times a year, to cope with the rising cost of living.


Ammasi was among the families from Subang SS13 and SS19, USJ1 Angsana and Sunway PJS7 flats.


“I took a bus here all the way from USJ 1. Although it is far, it’s definitely a worthwhile trip,” said single mother Mariammah Alakamalai, who also receives assistance several times a year.


With three children to raise, she pointed out that every little bit helps.


The 32-year-old factory worker said the RM100 in cooking essentials is the best thing she could have asked for during this festive season.


“Now with the extra money, I can even get a cake for my children as a special treat for them,” she said.


“All goodies given away today were thoughtful donations by the public, and all we did was organise this event to distribute it to these women,” said Hindu Sangam Bandar Sunway chairperson Thavamani Mogan.


Thavamani, 54, said over RM3,000 worth of donations were received by the organisation, and she is thankful for all the contributions.


“We are holding the event for the third year and we hope to continue this in the years ahead,” she said.


Yeoh added: “We have been partnering with Hindu Sangam since 2008 and I hope this continues.”


She said her office has also pledged RM3,000 to help pay for the tent, sound system, food and other expenditure.


With the ladies and their brand new saree